Rat Control 101: A Complete Guide For Owasso Property Owners
November 10, 2023
Homeowners might find occasional ants or fruit flies harmless unless they start seeing too many of them, but spotting a single rat is enough to ring the alarm. There are many good reasons for that, as rats are unhygienic scavengers that can wreak havoc on your home fast.
In this blog, the Montgomery Exterminating experts will review everything you need to know about pest control services in Owasso. You will learn surprising information about rat behavior, discover the common illnesses these rodents can transmit, and explore the best prevention tips to keep them at bay after professional treatment. Let's get started.
Understanding Rat Behavior: Insights For Effective Rat Control
Understanding rat behavior will make rodent control in Owasso much more straightforward. These highly adaptable rodents are common urban pests because they are omnivorous and go after food, water, and shelter. They are also nocturnal and most active at night, making detecting them challenging, at least initially. And finally, being excellent climbers and swimmers, they can access our properties through openings as small as a quarter inch.
Rats are also social animals. They live in colonies, so removing one will rarely solve the problem. Instead, it is best to address the entire infestation immediately. Keep in mind that rats can carry diseases, and a comprehensive approach that encompasses sanitation and targeted elimination is necessary.
Rat-Borne Diseases: Common Illnesses Transmitted By Rats
Rats are often silent but dangerous carriers of highly problematic illnesses. Here are some of the most common around the area:
Salmonella: Rodents can turn your kitchen into a nest of pathogens. Rat droppings or urine on your food or counters can introduce the salmonella bacteria, causing fever, diarrhea, and more.
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis: You might not have heard about it. Still, rats can transmit this disease through their urine and feces. It might start with flu-like symptoms but can lead to more serious neurological complications.
- Murine typhus: This disease is not just a historical scourge. Rats and their fleas can still transmit this bacterial disease to us.
- Leptospira: Swimming in contaminated waters or handling rat-infested soil can contaminate you with this illness that can cause anything from mild symptoms to kidney and liver damage.
- Rat bite fever: The name says it all. You must seek medical help with this or any other disease listed.
Rodents can look innocent, but they can pose significant health risks. Keeping them out of your home is paramount.
Rat Prevention Tips: Eliminating Attractants And Sealing Entry Points
Eliminating attractants and sealing entry points are excellent strategies to keep your home rat-free.
- Sanitation is paramount. Rats are opportunistic feeders. Ensure your home has no easily accessed meals by storing food in airtight containers and promptly cleaning up. Remove water sources and keep trash cans tightly closed.
- Rats can squeeze through tiny gaps. Seal them using tough materials rats can't gnaw through, like steel wool, caulk, or concrete. Install screens on vents and chimneys to prevent their access without obstructing airflow. Set up tight-fitting screens on doors and windows, and consider door sweeps at entryways.
- Rats are adept climbers. Overgrown plants or branches touching your home can provide rats with a ladder to your roof or walls. Trim them to eliminate another factor.
Montgomery Exterminating can help if you suspect a rat infestation. Our experts have what it takes to remove it and prevent future problems effectively.
Call The Rat Control Experts: Ensuring Safe And Effective Elimination
Are you dealing with a rat infestation? Calling the rat control experts is the most effective approach for complete elimination. We understand rat behavior and habits and can quickly develop a targeted plan.
Our rat exterminators know how to use various treatments safely to minimize potential risks and provide guidance on post-treatment precautions. We will also customize our approach to your specific intrusion, considering factors like the type of rat and the unique challenges on your property.
And remember, the best solutions will eliminate existing rat populations and help prevent future infestations. We will always advise on sealing entry points and improving sanitation to make your home less attractive to rats.
DIY rat control methods can be time-consuming and often less effective. At Montgomery Exterminating, we will address the problem, starting with a thorough property inspection and treatments like bait stations and other methods to eliminate existing rodent activity. We also offer the option of installing outdoor stations for severe cases and monthly follow-up services for ongoing protection. Call us today to get started.
Montgomery Exterminating is the premiere choice for rat control in Owasso. Reach out today to schedule your free estimate and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Owasso.