Rodent Rundown: Keeping These Dangerous Pests Away From Your Tulsa Property
June 4, 2023
Tulsa, Oklahoma, is commonly referred to as a "boomtown." Lots of things are happening in this lively city. Being part of the "world's largest small town" leads to exciting opportunities and adventures. Whether people own property downtown or are closer to the wide-open spaces, rodents might pay a visit. Without pest control in Tulsa, these destructive pests can make a mess outside and inside properties.
Common Rodent Species: Identifying Different Types Of Rodents
You may encounter rodents at some point, regardless of what type of property you own. Rodents live in almost every state and come in different shapes and sizes.
Four common rodents that invade Tulsa properties include:
- Gophers (pocket gophers) – These rodents typically grow 5 to 14 inches long and are predominately brown with short tails; they have cheek pouches, small ears, and small eyes.
- House mice – This small, round house rodent grows 2 1/2 to 3 3/4 inches long (not including their tail) and typically has muted gray hair and creamy underbellies; they have pointy noses and big ears.
- Norway rats – These rodents grow 7 to 9 ½ inches long (not including their scaly tail) and have brown hair that is bristly and sprinkled with black hairs. Their bellies are often white or grayish; they have round noses and small eyes and ears.
- Roof rats – These rodents grow 6 to 8 inches long (not including their scaly tail) and have smooth, fine brown hairs with black patches and gray, white, or black underbellies. Their almost hairless ears are prominent.
Any one or more of Tulsa's common rodents can cause severe damage to area properties. When these rodents start making trouble around properties, it's always best to have a trusted pest professional close by, like Montgomery Exterminating, Inc., to get rid of rodents.
Health Risks And Property Damage: The Importance Of Rodent Control
Of the four rodents that commonly pester Tulsa properties, the gopher typically stays outdoors and damages lawns. Gophers love lawn plants, especially starchy tubers and underground roots. Sometimes they leave their underground homes through feed holes to nibble on nearby surface plants; they are incredibly destructive in gardens and orchards. Gophers can also damage plastic water lines, irrigation systems, and sprinklers. Rodents that damage lawns are challenging, but others that get inside homes bring a whole new set of problems.
House-invading rodents such as house mice, Norway rats, and roof rats are destructive and dangerous to your health. Rodents are "gnawers," so they often leave bite marks on woodwork, trim, stored items, floors, and siding. When nesting, they often shred insulation. Rodents will also chew on wiring, which can cause electrical shorts and fire hazards. On top of building damage, rodents are also hazardous to your health.
Rodents contaminate surfaces, foods they walk across and feed upon, and items they nest within. Their saliva, feces, and urine get left behind as they eat and crawl through things. Even dust from their dried feces can contaminate the air. Some common diseases transmitted by indoor rodents include jaundice, salmonellosis, rat bite fever, leptospirosis, cowpox virus, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM), trichinosis, and tularemia. As if these health issues weren't enough, rodents often carry other pests on their bodies, such as fleas, lice, ticks, and mites, which can lead to secondary infestations. When dealing with pests that bring multiple issues to area properties, using a pest expert like Montgomery Exterminating, Inc., for effective rodent control is essential.
Professional Rodent Control: The Most Effective Elimination Solution
The safest and most effective way to banish rodents from Tulsa properties is with Montgomery Exterminating, Inc. Our family-owned and operated pest control company has been servicing the local area since 1989; we've got over 40 years of combined pest experience. We offer our valued customers dependable, flexible, and effective pest control management solutions that work. Our loyalty to our customers and commitment to satisfaction make us the best company to call for effective elimination services. Reach out to the pest professionals at Montgomery Exterminating, Inc. today to schedule a no-obligation inspection and free estimate.
Rodent Prevention Tips: How To Keep Your Property Rodent-Free
Oklahoma rodents looking for food, water, and shelter are challenging to deter when on a mission. Still, if property owners set up some prevention measures ahead of time, much can be done to keep properties rodent-free.
Tips for a rodent-free property include:
- Use underground fencing/screening around flower beds, trees, and shrubs to protect against gophers.
- Use six to eight inches of rough gravel around plastic water lines, sprinklers, and irrigation systems as an added deterrent for gophers.
- Fill cracks and crevices in foundations, siding, and gaps where utility lines come into buildings.
- Fix water leaks quickly and ventilate high moisture areas, such as basements, crawlspaces, and attics.
- Practice good sanitation indoors.
The best way to beat rodents is with vigilance. Having an extra pair of eyes helps stop pests from damaging buildings and exposing people to health hazards. When you partner with Montgomery Exterminating, Inc., you can rest easy knowing you have a rodent control specialist in Tulsa ready to lend a helping hand.