The Ultimate Guide To Yellow Jacket Control For Tulsa Property Owners
July 15, 2023
Stinging insects can take all the fun out of a warm afternoon outdoors. And if you have yellow jackets, finding ways to get rid of them is essential. Your Tulsa pest control experts want you to feel empowered and ready to manage any infestation in your home or on your property. Here’s a quick guide to getting rid of yellow jackets in Tulsa so you can get back to enjoying your summer.
How To Identify A Yellow Jacket
Though yellow jackets sting like other common stinging insects, they’re a separate species, and knowing how to identify a small yellow jacket and distinguish it from a bee or another type of wasp can help you prepare for a professional home pest control appointment. Here are a few unique characteristics to watch for:
- Their color: The yellow jacket insect gets its name from its distinctive yellow and black coloration.
- Their size: Yellow jackets grow between 3/8 and 5/8 of an inch, making them smaller than many other stinging insects in the greater Tulsa area.
- Clear segmentation: Yellow jackets have a noticeably segmented body with a distinct waist.
If you think you have yellow jackets setting up house on your property, contact your pest control specialist. They’ll be able to identify the insects accurately and tailor treatments to that species for maximum efficacy.
Potential Threats A Yellow Jacket Infestation Could Pose
The main reason it’s so important to let an experienced yellow jacket control expert handle any active infestations is that yellow jackets can pose risks to your health and safety. Though these insects aren’t known to carry diseases or spread bacteria, they can and will sting when threatened.
Those stings can be incredibly painful for almost everyone, but if you have a sensitivity or allergy to their venom, you risk a severe allergic reaction. These allergic reactions require immediate emergency medical treatment.
However, for most people, yellow jacket stings are just painful annoyances that make spending time outdoors unpleasant.
Five No-Nonsense Yellow Jacket Prevention Tips
Though it’s important to work with an expert in yellow jacket control in Tulsa when dealing with an active infestation, you can do a few things to keep your home safe. Here are a few proven tips to help you keep yellow jackets away:
- Seal cracks and crevices around your home’s exterior to make it harder for yellow jackets to get inside.
- Fix any torn window screens as soon as you notice the tears.
- Keep your doors closed or sealed with a tight-fitting screen door to keep yellow jackets out.
- Cover your food when you’re outdoors, and keep any bags of chips, fruit, ice cream, and other strong-smelling items in sealed containers whenever possible.
- Avoid strong-smelling perfumes, colognes, body lotions, or body sprays, as these can attract yellow jackets and other stinging insects.
These tips can help prevent yellow jackets from being a huge issue in your home, but they won’t be enough to eliminate an active problem. If you’ve noticed a yellow jacket nest in your yard or inside your home, schedule a professional treatment as soon as possible.
The Safe And Effective Way To Get Rid Of A Yellow Jacket Infestation
The safest and most effective way to get rid of a yellow jacket infestation is to schedule a professional pest control appointment with Montgomery Exterminating, Inc. as soon as possible. Professionals know what to look for and can identify the signs of yellow jackets in and around your property before they become a major nuisance.
If you’re ready to protect your property, reach out to us today to schedule an appointment and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Tulsa.